Thursday, March 21, 2013

Our Final Days in China/Arrival on US soil

I was tempted to leave this post blank since that's really what I remember of those days, but I've had spurts and visions about what happened so I'll do my best to give a summary before the memory completely fades.

I mentioned in the previous post that I was feeling very ill...yea...that basically covers it...well, maybe add a couple more "very's"...then you've got it covered.

When we left the hotel to head to the consulate/train station, we made a quick stop over to another pharmacy...I know, I know...to grab some aspirin for an emergency plan for the plane for Zoe.  In case you're wondering, China doesn't have children's meds so we had to get regular aspirin...which I was to crush up again if needed.  Again...backup plan of drug dealer was in full gear.  Thankfully, the box was never opened. 

There was a lot of hurry up and wait as with any traveling...but it really wasn't too bad. I would get Daddy set with kids and then rush off to a restroom. Not fun. For fun, though, Zoe and I wore matching masks...there's a picture somewhere which will turn up some day to haunt me, I'm sure.

I'm really fuzzy on what happened on the train as I felt semi-comatos the majority of the time. I continued to hold Zoe on my lap and hold the iPad to show her Barney and give her drinks of water whenever she yelled at me. Other than that, I would only gain consciousness when I would hear Chris yell for Zane to stop something...pretty sure he was naked at one point. On one of the occasions that Zane took off running down the aisle, and Chris chased and grabbed him, Zane bit down on his shoulder...hard. Oh my. Yea. This was the first day that he'd been angrily aggressive with us. He'd been extremely angry with us earlier when we woke him up to leave, and he'd been hitting us...or refusing to  stop screaming and hitting. It wasn't looking good for the journey...and I was cyanotic. 

Once we arrived in Hong Kong, we had to collect our luggage and then change our Chinese money to Hong Kong money...which...of course...was different. Biggest bummer to Hong Kong stay: no guide...no driver...on our own...with 2 toddlers...in 2 stroller...with 4 suitcases...and a handicapped mom who's only saving grace was the stroller that was used to hold her upright-ish. SO...we were told to grab a taxi...HA! Simple, right? Not so, my friend. The taxi line was very, very long...outside...where we had to wait with the kids and luggage...no choice...and it was raining.  At one point, Daddy had to run back inside to a restroom, and I was left to push both strollers and the luggage cart...and not pass out. Some nice man pushed Zane's stroller up a little bit for me. He did not like that one little bit. It was really the first time he showed any concern at all about not being with either of us...but I was primarily trying not to die...or faint, if you're a realist...until Chris got back...then all bets were off.

Once we hailed a cab, we still had another 35 minutes to the hotel...pretty sure our driver was either trying to break the sound barrier or just his best time...because that car ride was unbelievable. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it. MANY close calls. Our guide from the previous city had given us Chinese directions to give the cab driver so although the trip was scary...at least it wasn't long! :)

Again, though, I was loopy...so once we arrived and got the room, I hit the bed and rarely opened my eyes...lots of hearing bits and bits, eating a few bbq chips and a half a sandwich. Chris took care of the rest...I'm sure he fed, diapered, and clothed them...but I couldn't have asked for anything more. He even had to get room service...which just burned his financial buttons...but there was no way he could take them to get something by himself.  Room service, it is.

The next morning, I was able to walk much more and function on some level...I'll take it.  I told someone, "...at least I was upright!" Perspective, people.

The trip we'd been dreading had finally arrived...it was still overwhelming with the "what if's" and various objections pe0ple were giving us for taking her now. You'll find out in later posts that it was a good thing we did.  Another day. :)

Of course, getting a little fight back encouraged me to tease Chris about getting to the airport.  I know things have changed with flights and security since 9/11, but let's just take a little peak into the window that we'll just call, "Airplane traveling with Chris Carr...film at 11."  I think the check-in time for domestic is an hour to 1 1/2 hours...international was, I thought, 2 hours.  Chris said 3 hours...3 hours, friends. C'mon now...Anyway, getting back to the spunk returning...when he told me the flight was at 11:10 am, I asked, "So does that mean we're getting there at 6:30 am?!?" He was less than amused. BUT...when we left the hotel around 8:30, I wanted to punch him in the proverbial nose...not the real nose, mind you...that wouldn't be right. Because did I mention our hotel was CONNECTED to the airport?!? Connected. 

During check-in, Zane found out he preferred the coma mommy...this one was more stubborn than he was.  Like I said, he'd had a rough couple days with being angry, and when I wouldn't let him take his socks and shoes off and throw them at the check-in counter, he continued. But Mommy was...Mommy. Sorry bud...I may still be seeing 5 of you, but all 10 feet are keeping those shoes on...so while Daddy tried to convince the airline clerk...and then her supervisor...and then her supervisor's supervisor...that Zoe was fit to fly, Mommy wrestled (not one bit of exaggeration) Little Man...and took a medal. No victory lap...just a marginal victory for motherhood everywhere. 

We were asked for documentation affirming her clearance to fly. We had nothing. We were asked about testing or visits to clear her. We had nothing. At the end of the day, we just said, she's fine...look at her...we're good. She's having a needed surgery in the states. We must go. And they passed us through...praise the Lord. It seemed questionable with each new phone call, but in the end, we had no issues whatsoever.

We spent the next however many HOURS :) eating some breakfast, drinking some smoothies, face timing some friends and family, grabbing some little toys for the flight, and letting Zane run off some energy. By that time, we were pretty sure Zoe would be fine, and Zane would be hanging from the overhead compartments. 

We were the most surprised...and the most blessed parents...there ever was and probably ever will be!!! Those kiddos were the most incredible troupers. 14 hours...fourteen hours...barely a peep. We had 4 middle seats together this time so Chris and I flanked them, guarding the innocent bystanders at all cost.  Zoe refused to sit in her seat at all...well, she sat there to eat about an hour into the flight but as soon as the slightest turbulence was felt, she flew right back into my lap in a panic. Zane had a couple little moments, but for the most part, just played, slept...pillow/blanket/spread out on the middle seats, and ate...oh...and pooped. That was awesome. He made Chris give their new panda bears piggy back rides...many times...and then loaded Daddy's lap up with everything we owned...garbage and all...from the seats and floor. Daddy loved this part of the trip as you can imagine. I was only able to get up once in the 14 hours because of Zoe, but my legs still worked at the end so we're good. Mostly, we were just so very grateful that we had 2 happy, healthy babies when we strolled off that plane.

We were ushered straight to the front of an visa line...fantastic...had to wait for quite a while for luggage...but then had a brief time at the adoption/visa area for the kids to become US CITZENS (!!!!!)...then another pass through security to get rid of my dangerous fruit...and we walked out of there...with another 4 hour journey by car laying ahead of us. We were so thankful that Kenney Kolanowski offered to come to Chicago and drive us home to Iowa. We definitely needed it. In addition to the exhaustion, the kids had never been in car seats...or even seat belts. Yea...that did not happen. Tried...failed...tried again...done. Much screaming and terror. Safety will have to be addressed another day...but not today. 

Today we brought home 2 of the Father's children to be raised in a family that loves and seeks Him with all their  might (albeit imperfectly) so that they too will one day hear of their loving Savior who paid the price to adopt them long before we ever could...because He loved them even so much more than we ever did. That'll be the true happy ending to this story.

2 comments:

  1. "Today we brought home 2 of the Father's children to be raised in a family that loves and seeks Him with all their might (albeit imperfectly) so that they too will one day hear of their loving Savior who paid the price to adopt them long before we ever could...because He loved them even so much more than we ever did. That'll be the true happy ending to this story."

    Thank you Chris & Eva.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooooo glad you are home. Now I can relax:)

    ReplyDelete

Another One Bites the Dust. Tonsils. It's Just Tonsils...For Now

  Welcome back to The Carr Ride. I mentioned the "bumpy roads" when you jumped in so I'm sure none of this will surprise you.....