Saturday, March 16, 2013

Keep 'em busy...wear 'em out

My new motto.  Previously to date, the motto was, “Go with the flow…they’re fine to just hang with us…no worries!” That jersey has now been retired….or burned…or framed. Whatever.

We finally had our first official free day yesterday, Friday…so we hit the town to get some fun souvenirs for our family back home. 

We had to make a stop first though, at a pharmacy and then a medical equipment store to get some supplies.  Something I haven’t touched on that much…or maybe I have…typing these blog posts at midnight or so have left me a little foggy on what I’ve shared and not shared.  I know I mentioned that Zoe had been in the hospital for 3 days before we got her. (Just checked because I didn’t want to rehash…yep, told ya.) So…anyway, ever since that day, we’ve been going back and forth with doctors and guides and the adoption agency in regard to Zoe. The first day I held her in my arms I said we wanted the doctor that treated her at the hospital to contact our doctor. Not gonna happen. Therefore, it’s completely impossible to know what actually happened. There is, of course, no medical record given to us either. It is absolutely maddening. We’ve tried to explain the varying opinions to the adoption agency only to have them insist the one they were told is the correct one…and then insisting we continue to pursue Chinese doctors…who continue to disagree. We were told by her caregivers that it was likely a translation thing…the same word is used for heart disease and heart attack. They also questioned who would know what’s going on more…her caregivers in her home or the over-arching city orphanage that reports to the agency? Good point. We explained that. “Are you refusing to see a doctor?” Ugh. We were sent a long email when we woke Friday saying that agency doctors had been contacted, and they recommended several things. The agency said we should pursue those options at the minimum. Fine. The easiest items to apprehend were a face mask (to guard her against contracting other people’s germs…catching a cold would be very bad for her) and a portable “blah, blah, blah” that reads her BPM and O2 level.

On our way to the pharmacy, we contacted the clinic we visited the previous day to ask if a cough suppressant would be ok with her current meds and heart condition. (She had been coughing quite a bit more throughout the night but not waking. Just didn’t want to chance anything.) The clinic said that would be just fine. So at the first place they bought these face masks that apparently were made for Gigantor. But they didn’t stock the other thing we needed. Next. The clinic sent us to their equipment distributor. We bought children’s masks, cough stuff, and the thingamajig. $100+ later, the masks are still falling off her tiny face, the machine is garbage (says I’m about to have a heart attack when I’m completely resting…no smart aleck comments), and our doctor friend back home said absolutely DO NOT give her the cough suppressant as many have cardiac side affects.  Get my drift…you picking up what I’m throwing down?!? Let’s just put it this way…some of you could be Zoe for Halloween…we’ll provide the contraptions, mask and all.

Not to be swayed, I jimmy-rigged that sucker on her little face and off we went! Never underestimate the power of the ponytail holder.

We had a great day hunting down souvenirs for our kiddos…made me a little weapy…even to the point of missing all their big-kid drama…especially because they’re not allowed to scream at me.  Incidentally, the payback of all paybacks is going to be putting them on twin duty asap. *rubs hands together and emits menacing laugh*
We ran into one store and asked the lady how much a couple things cost that were in the window. She said, “I give you good price for all things…friend price.” I smiled and said, “but I’d just like to know how much each thing is first.” “But I give you friend price for all!”

Woman. Do not push me right now.

Chris missed all this and walks out of another section of the store and asks, “How much are these? I can’t find a price.” You guessed it. “I give you good price...” Chris never being too gifted in the accent category said, “Excuse me?” “I give you friend price!” Ser. i. ous. ly. Nevertheless, I really wanted the things so I endured. She gives the price. We say it’s too much. She looks to be in childbirth. We look like we’d rather take a bath in hot lava. I HATE this stuff…ask my deal-shopping friend, Michelle, who just helped me buy some used furniture (I “took a call” while she did the deed)…takes me right back to garage-saling, under protest, mind you, with my dad. Shoot me now. We were buying a China puzzle for Zane…because what cool parents would that make us, right?!? Holla! It’s wrapped in plastic…or it was. Fantastic. Since we’re already 3 pieces short, I’m pretty sure they’re still in the store with our “friend.” I’d had enough. I asked our guide to come in and help the angry white couple before friend or foe needed the super cool pulse thing we’d just bought. She starts talking for us…then we get the “friend price.” I kid you not…she charged us MORE for everything than they were individually. She has been defriended. Chris, of course, caught it by catching her in the act before she even realized it. The ol’ switcheroo, buddy. He’s all impressed with himself and gives me the “check me out, babe” wink. I give him the “get me out of here” roll of the eyes.  Incidentally, my buddy also told me the wrong Chinese translation on a shirt (gave me big brother instead of little brother for Zane) so we wonderfully had to go back to her store…again. I stayed outside. That store’s way too friendly for my taste.

We spent a good portion of time in a fun store that seemed happy to help us, happy to let our kids break toys while we shopped (ahem…), and we went back for seconds after lunch.

Our favorite store, though, was the very first one we went to…we also returned there after lunch.  So if you’re following along, boys and girls…that’s 3 stores…twice…yea. We quickly realized something was different here when Chris found a wooden plaque with the Beatitudes in Chinese…pretty cool. He started asking questions while we shopped and had a great conversation with the sales clerk.  We also noticed a sign that said all profits go to local charities. Double cool. When we left, the girl walked us out and said, “It’s so nice to have a p*st*r stop by…G*d bless you and your family!”…hence the return visit and subsequent purchases. We found out they support orphans in the area with their proceeds. They’re caring for the least of these through their business. Trifecta.

We ate lunch at an “American” joint that the Kolanowski’s recommended. I’d been waiting all day because Kenney told Chris they had Dr. Pepper there. Big. Fat. Liar. Cover your ears, kiddos…momma’s got a potty mouth. C’mon Kenney!!!! It is NOT better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all! NOT TRUE!!! Way to crush a girl’s spirit. No seriously. Crushed. My food was also icky mcickerton…so we promptly went to 7/11 and got me…you guessed it…another Pepsi Max, peanut M&M’s, and some meatsticks…not to be confused with beef jerky…it was meat…on a stick. You lower your standards, people…that’s what you do.  Could it have been dog? Yes.  Did I care? Absolutely not.

By the time we got back to the hotel, the natives were toast…so a nap was in order.  We only let them sleep 90 minutes…which still made for an interesting bedtime…or maybe it’s because we ate noodles out of buckets on the floor…again standards…gone. Regardless, they took forever to fall asleep…yelling at each other in Chinese for eternity…the same phrases over and over…wow…gonna be awesome once we get home.

I sat up to do some more blogging so I happened to still be up when the phone rang after midnight.  More on that tomorrow…since it was technically the next day… J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another One Bites the Dust. Tonsils. It's Just Tonsils...For Now

  Welcome back to The Carr Ride. I mentioned the "bumpy roads" when you jumped in so I'm sure none of this will surprise you.....