Monday, March 18, 2013

It is Monday...and 8 is enough! :)

Waking up only to skip your amazingly awesome breakfast is only acceptable if you're going to the American consulate to gain permanent custody of your new babies...guess it was acceptable today. In full disclosure, I should add that Kelly promised we'd be back before the buffet closed, or we may have gotten to-go boxes...lots of them.

Regardless, we headed out at 8 am for a day that changed our lives forever. Chris kept saying, "There's no turning back now..." I wanted to smack him...wait...maybe I did...as if us being on the other side of the world on the final day of this long journey hadn't already sealed the deal. As far as I'm concerned, there was no turning back once we saw Zoe's picture for the first time.

Of course, no adventure with the Carr's would be complete without...wait for it...a car accident. Yea. Not kidding. We rear-ended a Mercedes. Not sure if I've mentioned the traffic here in China, but no American living in the craziest traffic possible could even imagine this on their worse day. There are motorcycles, bikes with cargo...and people...strapped to the back...gazillion vehicles...completely disregarding any lane markings...just edging their way into any opening...using their horns as blinkers. In-sane. Anyway, we hit the Merc. As our driver got out, Chris acknowledged that this could cause us to miss our consulate appointment. Kelly had explained that they get all the adoptive families being interviewed today in a room and have them take the oath ("yes, it's true what you're reading") together. Couldn't be late.  Thankfully...and mercifully...the drivers speak for less than 30 seconds, and each go on their way! Wow. Thank you L*rd.

The entire appointment was actually very uneventful, and we left with 2 new Carr's! You probably already saw the picture earlier today...Chris is always stealing my thunder.

To celebrate, we closed down the breakfast buffet then headed to the hotel playground to hang with some other adoptive families. (Incidentally, Chris made a profound statement today. "I so badly wish we were leaving today!!! But I guess that gives us one more morning with the breakfast buffet..." We're such shallow folk.) What a relaxing and sweet time that was. Sharing stories with people who are living the exact adventure. G*d has certainly provided these opportunities right when we needed them this entire journey. The kids had a blast playing together while the adults compared drama! :) It was kind of cool that the families we met were all from Evansville, Indiana, and had never met before meeting in Beijing...with the same adoption agency...small world.

This time during nap time, Daddy was able to get away a bit and do a little shopping for himself and our kiddos. I spent the time on FB. Win-win!

After another failed shopping attempt (I'll have one more shot tomorrow...that shirt will be mine if I have to pick the lock and leave a note with money!), we decided to find a yummy restaurant for our final meal in this beautiful place. Boy, did we. It started off much the same as previous debacles but quickly turned around with a simple gesture...forks. :) Chris still did the point and grunt, but this time it was successful. We feasted and although I still had to wait to get a drink until after dinner, the food made me forget about my parched pie hole. Pork spare ribs, beef lo mien noodles, roasted duck, some odd flaming egg thing, and hot rolls for dessert. Smoly Hokes, Batman. If I could, I would include the picture of the duck...head and all...that was presented. Chris was shocked at my adventurous spirit...I only saw meat...that didn't remind me of my golden retriever...so we pressed on. I really have no idea what those egg yolk-looking things were that were on fire, but Zoe downed the whole basket so even that was a hit.

Some funny dinner conversation...because you know there always is: we've been trying to talk to the Z's about their siblings back home as much as possible. It doesn't really seem like they "get it" because they call people in their 20's "big sister" and older kids that are complete strangers, "big brother." Nevertheless, we're trying. Anyway, in the midst of dealing with Zane's insanity at dinner, Chris said, "I can't wait to see what big brother, Bryce, is going to do with you!" Well, that's what he meant to say. I won't pretend to spell it correctly, but the word for big brother would be pronounced like, "guh guh"...kinda. But Chris really hasn't paid much attention to all the various words so when he said it, it came out "Bryce Ga Ga." I started dying laughing saying, "Oh man...wait until we tell Bryce about this one!" It would even be better if Zane started calling him that because of how we kept repeating it! HAHA...sorry man...parents get to have fun at their kids' expense...it's in the code.

Another funny was Chris telling the kids that he got them another movie to watch...Curious George. He said, "It's a monkey!" Oh man...they both start saying, "Monkey...monkey!!!" They were so excited...even though completely clueless as to why we were talking about it. So cute. Then in full p*stor/dad mode, Chris switches gears and says, "So Zane...do you know J*sus?!?" Zane excitedly shouts, "MONKEY!!!" Theological discussion: failed. Next.

OK...better sit down. We received fantastic news via email today from a friend with firsthand knowledge of the kids and their home. It said that Zoe absolutely did NOT have a heart attack. Absolutely did not. She has been in and out of hospitals for her whole life, more frequently these last couple months...primarily to keep her stable leading up to the adoption. We knew about that and were grateful for it. The hospital stay immediately preceding our Gotcha Day was for exactly that. Stabilization prior to travel. This person said the heart attack news has wonderfully served to expedite our departure but that she was not in danger. Praise G*d from whom all blessings flow. He has turned our mourning into dancing...our sorrow into joy. We know the road ahead is long and full of pot holes, but for today, we simply will marvel at His steadfast love and compassion.

Lastly...and it may seem frivolous to end with this...but Chris and I got so tickled at something tonight after the kids went to bed that I was crying from laughter. When you're not able to laugh out loud...ok, maybe that's just me...because my kids say they can always find me at ch*rch if they listen for my laugh...but when you have to hold it in so you don't wake the babies...well then you laugh even harder! I sounded like my dad with his knee-slapping, hyena laugh that sounds like he's going to run out of air for good...that laugh. I love that laugh, Dad...and all the joy it's brought us kids over the years every time we make fun of...I mean, imitate it! :) Anyway...just goes to show that getting a little slap-happy sometimes can truly lift the burden of the day. If laughter is the best medicine, I'm going to make it on the Today Show birthday list some day! Sweet. Famous all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another One Bites the Dust. Tonsils. It's Just Tonsils...For Now

  Welcome back to The Carr Ride. I mentioned the "bumpy roads" when you jumped in so I'm sure none of this will surprise you.....