Sunday, June 2, 2013

Post-Op days 3-5

I've never had so much free time...with no time to do anything. I dare ya to try and figure out that one.

For some unknown reason, in the midst of this PICU marathon, my laptop keys have ceased to function. So I've resigned myself to simply sit and play Candy Crush.  And while I'm on topic, can we all just admit that any amazing moment on Candy Crush happens purely by accident?!? Seriously, I'm aimlessly making moves...suddenly, the whole board is clear...and I'm like, "I'm so awesome at this!" The truth will set you free, people. Regardless, I say "Grrr"...I'm sure I've lost all sorts of profound thoughts and witty banter that I intended for your reading pleasure, to my extreme short term memory. Listen...I don't remember what day of the week it is most of the time...and without other people to remind me of the medical journey we're on, I'm like, "Why is Zoe sleeping so long?!?" Get us outta here, Jack. Pretty soon they'll be moving us to a room with padded walls.

Most of the weekend was spent resting for Zoe and relaxing for the rest of us.  It was super encouraging.

Jeff and Mimi decided to stay through Sunday...we were so excited to spend some time with them. We did all sorts of back and forth with Zane...each adult (sometimes even the bigger kids) taking turns chasing him through the halls of PICU. No one seems to mind the chaos...even though we've done our very best to not disrupt other families. But then there's Zane...with that sweet face, incredible smile, and infectious laugh...seems to help people forget their heaviness at being in a place like this. For all the amazing facets of this hospital...and there are a ton...you wouldn't be here, if all was well. So he's been a blessing to people just being the little dude God created him to be! We also spent some time at the mall with the Andersons, shopping and eating...yummo for Chick-fil-A! It never get old! :)

Zoe just chilled, the kids shopped, Chris hung with Zane for his naptime, I floated in between everybody...like I said, short term memory. Although Chris had to head back home that night, we even squeezed in a dinner with everybody at Chili's. Not sure if I've ever mentioned our love for their chips and salsa...and it's totally not relevant to anything...but yea...num num.

Sunday morning, we were told that they were going to do a short trial off ECMO again to see how her heart function was doing. She actually did very well, and it was very encouraging to everyone! They told us they would rest another day, then attempt to trial off on Tuesday.

We got another influx of visitors as well! Nanie (Chris' mom) came from Indiana, and Aunt Michelle (married to Chris' brother, Jeremy...and pregnant with their 5th baby girl!) came from Des Moines with her parents and the 4 girls. We had a "houseful"...and they thought we took over the PICU lounge with just the 7 of us that first night! HAHA! Watch out PICU! It was so very nice to have everyone here...to have a little slice of normal in the midst of the unfamiliar terrain...to give Zane the privilege of meeting 4 more cousins. (Pretty sure we're gonna have to keep an eye on he and Quinn..."supervision at all times" sounds like a good starting point for the first decade.) The girls even came in Zoe's room and sang to her with Peyton...it was so sweet..."Jesus Loves Me"...yes, He sure does...every last one of you.

With the kids spending so much time up here, we've had some opportunities to talk about Zoe's condition more. We took baby steps with them seeing Zoe...then some more baby steps before we showed them the incision...even more before they were allowed to come and go from her room. We've tried to not overload them with too much, too soon...and always wrapped up every conversation with the truth that God has this under His control...we trust Him...period. Beyond that...everything's gravy. (If that analogy eludes you, you are, now and forevermore, NOT invited to Sunday lunch at my mom's house...especially if you're not a "sopper") 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Another One Bites the Dust. Tonsils. It's Just Tonsils...For Now

  Welcome back to The Carr Ride. I mentioned the "bumpy roads" when you jumped in so I'm sure none of this will surprise you.....