Thursday, August 23, 2012

Aucilla linebacker vs. NFC cheerleading coach...oh yea...I'm going there

I realized this week that before I jump into the past couple years of insane health issues for myself, I should once again go back to the beginning of the story.  

For that, we must go back 17 years...no joke. Believe it or not, the last 2 years' struggles have a direct link to that autumn night at a high school football game in sweltering Florida.

September 15, 1995. 

It's odd how you remember every tiny detail of a traumatic experience...but you do...every one. I shouldn't seem so serious right off the bat because every time I've told this story over the past 12 years (after moving to Indiana), everyone in the room winds up doubled over in laughter...including myself!  It's easy to laugh about it now...so take the intensity of the story with a grain of salt.

Florida high school football.  It's a big deal...like Indiana basketball...huge. So even when you don't have any acreage for a football field, you fudge it anyway...like Aucilla...on swampland.  You need to picture a football field surrounded by 10 feet on the sidelines...a chain link fence then dividing the team from a single section of bleachers placed only a couple feet further...and immediately behind the bleachers, there's your swamp.

Due to the space constraints, the administrator and I decided that my cheerleaders would cheer on the field side of the fence but would stop cheering anytime play came to our side/end of the field for safety reasons. So that's what we did, and it seemed to work just fine. Picture in your mind an entire football team, the crew of coaches, the administrator, my cheerleading squad, myself, my asst. coach, Nicolette and her husband, and...in the sovereignty of God...my future hubby. Pretty full sideline.

I remember Nicolette and I had been teasing the girls about how much they were sweating during the 1st half...Florida, September, swamp...no kidding...it was unbelievably hot, and they were jumping all over the place! (I told you I remembered odd, tiny details.) Truthfully, this goofing around on the sideline is the last thing I remember before the collision. 

The next thing I knew, I found myself smack in the middle of a real-life Moses and the Red Sea. It was a late hit. No one was paying attention any longer. Suddenly the team parted, and there he was. I've not had this thought before, but I'm really glad I didn't see his face because I'm positive it would've haunted my dreams! 

At that moment, I was leaning back against that chain link fence. Considering that there was only 10 ft. from field to fence, a lineman running at top speed covered that ground in a heartbeat...in the blink of an eye...in one breath. And he was running straight at me. There was absolutely zero reaction time...well, almost zero. At the last second, I turned my head to the side...which the doctors said saved my life.

His helmet hit me on the back left of my head, causing all the tendons to "severely sprain." The force of the hit actually threw me on top of the chain link fence, cracking a rib. Unfortunately, though my upper body twisted to the side, my lower body did not. Another unfortunate issue was scar tissue in my right hip from an old cheerleading injury of my own when I cracked my pelvic bone in 8th grade doing the splits. (I know...save it.) So...when he hit me...and my lower half didn't give way, it tore all that scar tissue and tendons in my right hip...all of them.

Due to my fear of all things "hospital," (at that time...now, I just ask for a room!) and the fact that I was in shock, I insisted to everyone around that I was fine, and they finished out the half with a minute to go.  (Just for the record, those concerned did not include the dude from Aucilla. He just ran off like nothing ever happened. Again, no joke.) I remember the band members walking behind me getting set for halftime...as my legs finally gave out, and I realized everything out of my left eye was a blur. At that point, there was no more arguing. I no longer got a vote. It was determined that a cheerleader's parents would drive me to the hospital 45 minutes away...and since my asst. coach had to stay with my girls, "my friend Chris" was elected to ride behind me, smacking my head whenever I seemed to drift out of consciousness. (at least that's what I remember about his role)

What I failed to mention previously was a completely full bladder. Needless to say, my mother will not be happy I'm including this in the story, but it was so horrifying, it bears mentioning.  I'd needed to find a restroom since we first got to the field but was told we had to wait until halfway for someone to open the school. With the accident happening just before halftime, I was out of luck! SO...guess what couldn't wait any longer?!? At some point in our 45 minute trip, we made a pit stop. Of course, by this time, I could no longer hold my head up, my leg was basically dangling, and it hurt to breathe, and I couldn't see out of my left eye.  Chris and Mr. Buerke had to carry me into the gas station bathroom, Mrs. Buerke had to "assist," and the men had to come back in for the return trip to the car. I was bawling...over the humiliation more than the pain. 

My ER visit lasted from 9 pm until about 1 am or so. Awesome. Fear of hospitals...check. Fear of doctors...check. Fear of tiny tube you're inserted into to take X-ray...check and double-check. This also happened to be RUSH night at FSU. I'm not joking you when I tell you there was blood everywhere in the hallway. Some guys got in a fight insulting various frats. One guy got in a car and ran over another guy. Somebody else was shot. Seriously.

I was sent home to stay with Tom and Nicolette, with Chris sleeping on the couch.

...To Be Continued....

3 comments:

  1. I remember this whole night. I dont know why but the Lord RANDOMLY put you on my heart at midnight last night. Again, I dont know why. But I thought. Ok Lord I will pray for her and MR. Carr. So I did last night until I fell asleep. Do you want to know what memory I was thinking about last night? The time you asked Katie and I to push play on a CD player during Mr Carrs physics class while you came through the back fire escape door and sang a solo to him in front of the whole class. I was laughing in bed as I pictured it again. YOu were so funny.

    Looking forward to hearing the rest of this. I had no idea you were hurt badly that night. Your attitude was always so good :)

    Much love,
    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear friend...it seems like so long ago and just yesterday at the same time. This is quite a story...reading on...

    Nicolette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sabrina...it's so funny to think about all that again!!! I don't remember singing...but I remember the fire escape entrance!! HAHAHA! Hopefully Dr Fielding doesn't read this blog!!! :) We even still have the gorilla I gave him that said "I'm WILD about you!" HAHA!

    Mr Carr just shook his head when I read him your comment..."you were in a neck brace and rib brace!!! How did she NOT know how badly you were hurt!!!" HAHAHA! Love you girls!

    ReplyDelete

Another One Bites the Dust. Tonsils. It's Just Tonsils...For Now

  Welcome back to The Carr Ride. I mentioned the "bumpy roads" when you jumped in so I'm sure none of this will surprise you.....