Tuesday, March 4, 2014

SO…how'd it go?!?

It took a couple days of chaos to get to the point where I can update you all on Zane's surgeries…appreciate your patience…or hounding, depending on which approach you chose to use. :) You know who you are.

Let's head back to last Tuesday...after 4 hours, Chris and I were ushered into a meeting room to get the 411 from Zane's surgeons. Obviously, I don't expect you to want to hear every detail, but I'll try to skim through the highlights.

The first thing we found out from Dr. K is that, although all went well, and Zane was never in any danger, he is now classified as "difficult to intubate." That's a sticker on the chart for sure. We have lots of stickers on our charts. There are several reasons that this might be so, but the most likely reason is that pesky missing maxilla. Because of its absence, his throat (and all of its parts) distorted when they open his mouth wide to prevent the visual straight line they needed to insert the tubing safely. So they got creative and used a curved scope with a mirror on the end to get the line of sight they needed. This would explain the extra hour of surgery time. This will be well-documented and will now be the top note of the anesthesia docs for all future procedures. The only negative is that we need to avoid any surgeries at smaller surgical centers as they would likely not have the proper equipment needed. Check. 

Other than that little surprise nugget, everything went very well. The "pit" was removed from his cheek, and the right side of the mouth was closed to match the left. He's got some deep internal stitches as well as some surface ones…all of which will dissolve. They cut away  some of the extra tissue inside his mouth and stitched away! In the end, Zane will have a small z-shaped scar (How many kids get their initial tattooed on their face?!? He's just cool like that.) at the corner of this mouth and a small line where the pit used to be. Dr. K reminded us about the torturous 3-week recovery period with, "no running, no jumping, no climbing, no yelling, no eating…" Yea. When I said she didn't have to remind me, she said, "Look, I did my job the past 3 hours…now you have to do yours for the next 3 weeks." Super.

Dr. Cooper (think manhood) gave his update so quickly, I missed it because of a quick bathroom break. Ok then.

It was such an amazing moment to walk back into the waiting room and tell the kids (and "Aunt 'teph") that all was well, and he'd be waking up soon. So very amazing.

We initially took turns seeing Zane as he tried to wake up, but they soon allowed all of us back to see his sweet face together. Shhh…it's frowned upon. Poor little guy couldn't keep those eyes open, but I'm glad he caught a quick glimpse of each of us. As the Carr crew went to gather all of our things and move to big Z's room, I held him in the wheelchair as they prepared to get us out of there as well. He was whimpering in pain so I began to sing to him quietly. No big deal except…I lost it…completely. I was so grateful to be holding his little breathing self in my arms…even grateful that he was crying and in pain…because that meant he was still with us. But all I could do was weep for this moment that never happened with Zoe. I tried to get myself together and sing another song, but Zane quickly brought me back to reality when he sat up and told me to go back to the first song…he didn't like the one I was singing…and just like that, he was back out. Such a little punk…trying to boss me around even from la-la land. But it did make me smile.

Anybody that knows little man knows how "interesting" things got once he was good and awake, but the iPad saved the day/s. The only major issue we had while still in the hospital was the violent hurl Landry and I had the joy of "catching." I don't do puke. It was less than spectacular. 

I was right in assuming that the circ would help keep a good man down…at least for a couple of days. That was seriously a God-send. Between movies, iPad, Nannie, and liquified food, we had it going on…which was good because by the time we got home from the hospital, I was full-blown sick. Just can't win sometimes…ok, ever! :) Debbie Downer? Uh…no. I forgot to mention that I ended up back in my favorite accessory…the big black boot…the day after we got home from the hospital. So just cut me some whining slack here. 

Zane continues to get back to normal…which is making this whole fragile recovery period especially dicey…but it's still great news. We will return to the U on Thursday to check on his progress. Please be praying for little man and all of us crazies that are tasked with restraining him. We are so thankful that the ultimate Healer has this all under control. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another One Bites the Dust. Tonsils. It's Just Tonsils...For Now

  Welcome back to The Carr Ride. I mentioned the "bumpy roads" when you jumped in so I'm sure none of this will surprise you.....