Sunday, October 29, 2017

Hate to Say 'I Told Ya So"

"It's not possible," they said.

"Never been done," they said.

"It's basically indestructible," they said.

My response each time was, "Have you met Zane?" 

As I mentioned in my previous post, everything has been just peachy since the surgery. All except the attitude, the puking, the co-sleeping, etc. BUT overall...just peachy.

That is, until yesterday morning when Zane scratched his neck and felt dry blood on the metal arm of the distractor. He did the only responsible thing at the time...tried to get it off. And guess what?!? It fell off completely. OUT of his neck. The impossible happened. Shocker. Why doesn't anyone believe me? And he literally wasn't being crazy at all. None of his Zane-ness caused the incident. 

Bryce was actually home alone with Zane at the time. Big Z was parked in his recliner, playing the ipad and watching Wild Krats. Definition of chill...and learning...that show is legit.

"Uh, Mom...Zane's thing fell out of his neck. He scratched his neck, and it just fell off."

SO...I raced home and got on the phone with  the hospital. When I was finally put in touch with the resident on-call, she said the following...not even kidding...

"You should be able to just shove it back up in the hole and reattach it to the distractor. Just try it while I wait."


What. The. World.
Not. Kidding.

Because I'm not a quitter, I had Bryce hold the light, and I gave it the whole college/med school try...and failed miserably...all the while, we could hear the resident saying to another doc, "This should work, right?!?"

:0

A hour or so later, the resident that has been on Zane's case from the beginning called and talked through the situation. Zane's surgeon is out of town, but another doc is on the case. 
Unfortunately, we are going to have to do another surgery to reattach the arm. Because Zane had already eaten, we couldn't do the surgery yesterday. 

So here we are. Up at the U since 8 am, in the ER...waiting for the OR to open up. Could be 10 minutes...could be 4 hours. They'll have to put him to sleep again, insert the arm, and make sure it's all working properly again. We should be able to go home today though. That's a plus.

Who's betting on an eraser to make an appearance? 

Not making any promises.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Another One Bites the Dust. Tonsils. It's Just Tonsils...For Now

  Welcome back to The Carr Ride. I mentioned the "bumpy roads" when you jumped in so I'm sure none of this will surprise you.....