Sunday, July 22, 2012

God uses a song

I was so struck by the truth and power of the lyrics of a song this morning...I feel compelled to share.

You see, even in my best efforts to focus on Christ in worship...leading or otherwise...I find my mind drifting to things like, "wonder if I look ok today...did my voice sound good on that song...did they like my harmony...sure wish I could sing like her" No one wants to admit things like that...no one wants to even believe things like that. But if the truth be told, our pride is lurking in every corner of our mind and heart...even when we are "doing the right thing."

This morning, the Holy Spirit was going to have none of that. Thankfully.

Ps. Leonard had asked me to lead the song, Your Great Name...and even though I've sung it a hundred or so times, including our Wednesday night practice, it took root in my heart in a fresh, new way today. As I reached the second verse, I was completely overwhelmed by the lyrics coming out of my mouth. God brought to my heart the wonderful email I shared with you all from the orphanage worker...the uncontrollable distress of little C, calmed only by the mention of Jesus' name...the power and presence of the Lord completely permeating the room at the sound of His great name. (For the full email, refer back to previous post, A Voice From the Other Side of the World).

See if these words don't hold new meaning through the tears of that little girl so far away...

All the weak find their strength
at the sound of Your great name.
Hungry souls receive grace
at the sound of Your great name.
The fatherless...they find their rest
at the sound of Your great name.
The sick are healed, and the dead are raised
at the sound of Your great name.

Sentimental...yes...but that's not the point. God used that email and the heartache it caused to remind me of my own weakness...of my own hunger...of my own sickness...of my own desperate need for a loving Father, Redeemer, Healer, Lord, Savior, Defender, and King. 

God forgive me for my casual attempt at worship that so often takes place. My heart was overwhelmed this morning, and I pray that it continues to be...so that one day I will use this song to teach our new little ones about the amazing power of the name of Jesus. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Another One Bites the Dust. Tonsils. It's Just Tonsils...For Now

  Welcome back to The Carr Ride. I mentioned the "bumpy roads" when you jumped in so I'm sure none of this will surprise you.....