Tuesday, August 27, 2019

The Results Are In...It's a Potato

Sheesh. Eva and her nonsense blog titles. 
Look at all that shameless sensationalism just to get people's attention! 
That's terrible! 
Who would fall for that? 
Soooo...how ya been.... 
Yep. Just went there. 
No shame in this game. 
Ok. Done for now. 
Yes, welcome to the nonsense drivel I like to call home. 
Is she gonna keep talking in 3rd person?!?
I feel like a poor man's Jim Gaffigan impression. 

Now that you're here, I may as well give you an update on Zane! :) 

Little man and I trekked up to our home-away-from-home today for his 10 day post-op visit. I'm fading fast tonight so I'll be short and to the point (which I realize is ridiculous, given my opening paragraph...) Dr. Owen cut all of the stitches that were anchoring the pink molds at the back of both ears to his head. Of all things, this has once again, been the preverbal last straw for Z. Weeping, wailing, gnashing of teeth and all. HOWEVER, happiness abounded once they were all removed. 

Overall, Zane got a very good report today. There's still a good bit of swelling, which is why I referred back to that original visual from Dr. Owen..."The ear will look like a potato for a while...then it'll shrink-wrap down to size!" For real. It's in the notes. SO, like I said, results are in...it's a potato! 

The new lobe and tragus will take more shape once that shrinking down occurs. The skin grafts are healing very nicely...bonus! Both ears look a little rough behind the ears where Dr. Owen added some extra skin to boost up the ears, but they're doing great!  Zane will continue to wear the Glascock dressing to bed in order to give that ear some bonus healing time without getting smashed! We then will go back for another follow up in 3-4 weeks, at which time he will get a new set of pink molds that will operate much like a retainers and will be worn at night to keep strengthening the shape of the ears. 

Couple HUGE answers to prayer:
Zane doesn't have to wear the "cone" to school anymore
Surgeries were very successful in every aspect
The big DOUBLE DIGIT bday swim shindig is a go next month

Things to continue to pray for:
Zane still has to stay inside for recess for at least another week. He's pretty bummed
Decreased swelling
Conversations to be had about the failed inner ear surgery
Adequate wound care all over both ears

Ok. That's it. Go home. Nothing to see here. Well, we all know that's not true. There's ALWAYS something to see here, but it may be best to just look away... :) Believe it or not, it's my surgical turn tomorrow! :/ Will update will I'm able, but it's super minor!!! 

Thanks again so much for continuing to pray for this sweet boy. And his dad. I hear he's an emotional mess! :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Another One Bites the Dust. Tonsils. It's Just Tonsils...For Now

  Welcome back to The Carr Ride. I mentioned the "bumpy roads" when you jumped in so I'm sure none of this will surprise you.....